Lesson from my student

It was an ordinary day; I sat in my office ready to start working on my schedule. I was about to write something when I heard one of my student greeted me and he said,” Can I talk with you?” I looked at him and answered,” Sure”
He was one of my students, he said,”Ibu, how is my talent test?” I said,”Let me see the result first” I started to open the personality and talent test results and I looked at his result. “Well, your result is you are strong in Social study, according to this you will be in Social study class” He looked at me and his face was sad. He started to ask some questions “Ibu is that possible for me to be in science class?” I said to him,” You can do it but you have to work and study harder to be the best there. You are smart enough to be there but your strength is social study” He looked at me,” Ibu, do you know that parents always think science class is better than social study class?” I said “I know that and I realize that wrong image has been build for many years. That image drives kids to make a wrong decision and it put them into learning problem. You have to know yourself before you decide to take the class. You have to realize which class will expose your best ability at all”
He was not happy with my answer. I said to him,” I give you time to make a choice but let me tell you it is better for you to be the best student in Social study class instead of just an ordinary student in Science class “ He agreed with my suggestion and he left my office.

Every year I faced similar problems, students wanted to be in Science class not because they were good in science. Most of the reason was the science class was more prestige than social study class. Social study class students can not be proud of themselves because of the wrong opinion.

I have a strong opinion that it is wrong if we as parents always think that science class is better than social study class. Each child has different intelligences and no one will have same composition of eight intelligences. If we can see thru that we find each of children is totally different and they are very special. It is hard to explain that to parents. Some of parents just follow their child’s desire or some of them force their child to follow the parents’ desire.

The next day, my student came back to me and he said,”Ibu I want to be the best student in social study class instead of being an ordinary student in science class. I will do my best” I was happy he made his decision. We shared some stories about how to build motivation in life and he gave me a motivational statement, he said,” Don’t tell God that we have a big problem but Tell Problems that we have a BIG GOD”. Wow... I was surprised to hear that. It was a wonderful experience and I also could learn from my student too.

A couple years ago, I found my student wrote his testimonial in my Friendster profile about that experience. How he made his decision between social study and science and he thought that I gave him a good advice. It was a great thing to know that I didn’t make mistake with my advice and suggestion for him.

Right now, my student already graduated from University and he has a good job now. I am more than happy just to know about that.

I believe sharing my time to listen or just to talk about something will add some good value in my life. Learning from small thing can be a great lesson of wisdom.

I wrote this for my student I hope he still remembers this story.

Jakarta, May 13, 2009 at 6.33 PM (**Lina Kartasasmita**)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

I am still here for you

Hundred percent!!

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it