It is not about MONEY

It was about 8.30 AM when I got a phone call. On that day I had to teach and I was preparing myself before I left my house. The phone call was from my neighbor, she was the one who came to me about a month ago and she asked my advice for her son’s education. I already shared in my notes “Like No Other”. She was happily telling me about her son progress. She said that after a long discussion with me, she followed my advice to bring her son to see a doctor. And she found out that her son has a problem with electricity in his brain and it can cause difficulties in his learning ability. I was so happy to hear that she finally found out the truth of her son’s problem and I have a great hope that she can be the better parent who can support and make a right decision for her son.

She said she was happy too but she also started to mention that the treatment for her son was expensive. She worried it would be worthless. It bothered me a lot. I told her,” This is about your son, which probably this treatment will be the biggest turning point in his life. If you can buy a branded handbag which you just wear for fashion this is more than that. You have to think this is more than that. This is a part of build your son life and the entire process will build his self esteem.” She said,” The doctor told me that I should bring my son when my son was younger. I told him that I just knew from you” It was a big hit for me. I continued telling her,” You should be happy that you probably a little bit late to bring your son, but still you have an opportunity to find better treatment for him. In this case do you think the treatment just wastes your money? This is a great lesson for us to think. Even we have money but we didn’t meet right person, we didn’t get right advice, we didn’t make a right decision in our life. Money means nothing at all. Something is worthy more than money. Money can not buy time. Never regretted that you have spend the money right now for your son; because this is an investment, this is the biggest foundation which you build to help your son for the rest of his life. Think about this. If your son gets the right treatment and he can life better. You will be a happy mom if your son will be a great person in his life. It is a great long investment”

Parents like to be a good accountant when dealing with money. Actually in our children life it is not only how much money we can give to them but how much support which we can give to build our children life.
I like to copy the Chinese proverbs:

• With money you can buy a house, but not a home.
• With money you can buy a clock, but not time.
• With money you can buy a bed, but not sleep.
• With money you can buy a book, but not knowledge.
• With money you can buy a doctor, but not good health.
• With money you can buy a position, but not respect.
• With money you can buy blood, but not life.
• With money you can buy sex, but not love.

Jakarta, May 27, 2009 at 7.07AM
**Lina Kartasasmita**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

I am still here for you

Hundred percent!!

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it