Teaching is a gift and leaning is a skill

"In the Western tradition, we have focused on teaching as a skill and forgotten what Socrates knew: teaching is a gift, learning is a skill."
— Peter Drucker


1985, Fresh graduate from senior high school I was offered to teach in class as substitute teacher in junior high school for two weeks. I felt that experiences opened my mind about teenagers. I saw they struggled as teenagers, how they had to manage their life, how they had to face their generation gap with their parents, or how they had to accept the reality of life. After two weeks, I decided to continue to teach. I love to teach and I end up as teacher. I think I was called to be a teacher.

During my era or even now, being a teacher is not a popular job. I don’t know how to describe my feeling that I really love to teach and I think teaching is part of passing my blessings. I care about my students not only their ability of study but most of the time I also care about their problems and their personality.

One day my husband gave me a small card with a note,” Teaching is a work of heart” I think that it really a true description about my love being a teacher. Every time I have to teach I am so full with energy. I agree that Teaching is a work of heart. Teaching is a gift.
In teaching I always learn a lot. I learn how to give encouragement, how to inspire and how to motivate. I see each student as individual unique. I learn from my students.

I will not stop teaching I will keep it as part of passing my blessings.
**Lina Kartasasmita**
Jakarta, July 17, 2009 at 9.38 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it