The last lesson from my dad

It was September 15, 1995 when I was shocked to hear the news that my dad passed away in Innsbruck, Austria. It was my dad’s last travel. He actually still had many plans to travel with me. I asked God,” Why God? I still need him as my dad. I still want to hear his story and I still need his love around me” I tried to understand there was God’s will and I tried to accept there would be a beautiful plan from God behind that bitterness. That was the hardest things in my life. My heart kept denying that my dad has gone.

While I grieved about my dad, I actually found a great wisdom from my dad. People who came to his funeral brought stories about my dad. Simple story I would never forget there was a lot of cake during the funeral ceremony and I didn’t order for that kind of cake. I asked around who bought those cakes. None from my family ordered those cakes. I thought there was a mistake. I was about to return those cakes. A simple old woman came and said in her teary eyes, “Those cakes are from me. A couple years ago I came to your dad to borrow money to feed my children. Your dad gave me money and he said that I can use the money and he never asked me to return the money. Your dad even didn’t ask where I live and he didn’t really know me. With the money I started to make cakes and I can earn money to send my children to school and feed them until now. When I heard that your dad passed away. I haven’t had a chance to thank him so this is the only thing I can do for him. Please accept the cakes” At that moment I barely say anything. I didn’t know her and no one in my family knew about her. It touched my heart that my dad had done a good thing and he silently did.

The only thing cross my mind was my dad simple advice,” I want you to have valuable things which no one can steal from you. I want you to keep memories in your mind. I want you to fill your mind with knowledge and wisdom. Be simple in your life but rich in your mind. Make your life be meaningful, find your inner beauty and shine among the people. If you don’t have anything to give, give them smile, motivation and encouragement”

I realize those advices have deep meaning. I learn that nothing I can bring to my funeral one day. People will not count how much money I have or how many cars I have, and how many my collections of expensive branded goods. People will remember what good thing I have done for them. I don’t have to be rich to help people; I can give them love, encouragement or a smile. It can be a great gift for someone who needs.

My dad is not around anymore but his advice, his wisdom still stays in my mind. I can understand the true meaning of his advices in every simple thing in my life.

Life is short, we can only bring memories from this earth and we can only leave “kindness” for people around us.
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.
Mother Teresa
Jakarta, July 5, 2009 (7.25PM)
**Lina Kartasasmita**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it