Do your best for God

It was Monday July 12, 2010 early in the morning, my family and I was already in the car. We had to come to scholarship awards in my husband’s office. One of my daughters won the dependent scholarship awards and we are very proud of her. We reached the office very early and we had to wait even longer than the invitation. In a very nice room, we saw many parents with their daughters and sons. Most of them already knew each other so they blended together. My daughters and I just sat and started to chat about random things. I always cherished every moment I have with my children.
Finally after waiting almost 2 hours, there was an announcement the event would begin soon. No comment for the organizer for being late… this is Indonesia with a famous rubber watch. They started the Scholarship awards as usual with speeches. A speech from scholarship recipient was touched my heart. In his speech, he pointed out that he looked for scholarship because he wanted to see his mother’s smile; he wanted to make his mom proud of him. He gave advice for all scholarship recipients to keep making their parents proud of them.
I remembered my advice for both of my daughters many years ago while they were in elementary school. “Do your best for God not for your parents” My daughters asked me a simple question, “Why does it for God?” I explained,” People may not be happy with your achievement. Sometimes even parents put their own standard of achievement for their children. Parents put their own dream in your life and they can not support their children’s choice of life. The world has its own standard about success. Success is described as rich, wealthy and famous. Great people should be smart and excellent. But God is your creator; He gives you talents and desire in your heart, He trusts you in this world to do your best. He has a great forgiveness when you fail. Nothing can compare with God’s grace and love in this world. If you do your best for God, you put higher standard in your life. When people measure success with the money they earn and how prosper their life. You can see the success as parts of you bring out the best from you in everything you do.”
My daughters kept asking, “How do we know God proud of us?” I said,” When you feel happy after doing something and you totally know that you do it with your best ability. Perhaps the result is not as good as your expectation. But God sees the process of bringing out your best ability. God looks at you when you are struggling with problems, when you need to put aside your ego and when you have a battle in your mind to do the bad or good things. That is the value of your life”
I was sitting a bit far from my daughters; I told myself I am really proud of them. Recognition from people around us are important to build our children’s confidence, however the most important is to let them know that great achievement in their life is not to make people around them Happy, but to make sure that they are happy because they do the right and good thing in their life.

A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.
Albert Schweitzer French philosopher & physician (1875 - 1965)
**Lina Kartasasmita** Jakarta, July 15, 2010 at 8.19 AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it