Please keep doing it


It was June 1, 2011 Graduation day of class 2011 where I was there for my youngest daughter. The room was full with parents and teachers. My husband and I got a chance to give speech to represent parents.

The ceremony started with all students came into the room; they looked so beautiful and handsome with national dress “Kebaya” and “Batik”. 

The ceremony began with the national anthem and some other things. Then they introduced us. I hold my husband’s hand and we walked to the stage to deliver the speech.  I wrote the speech in English and Indonesian language. My husband read the English version and I did in Indonesian language  

Standing on the stage, I remembered my wish in 2010 on graduation day for my eldest daughter.  I wished I could give a speech in front of my daughters. And a year later, my wish came true.  First lesson on that day for me was “I should always be positive and wish a good thing happen in my life”

The day became more special actually because when they gave an award. The award named after a teacher “Virna Tumengkol award”.

“This award is therefore presented annually to a student who demonstrates clear servant leadership expressed through: Love Joy Peace Patience Kindness Goodness Faithfulness Gentleness Self-Control (Galatians 5: 22-23) “

They called my daughter name, “Devita Gunawan”.  With teary eyes, I said to my husband, "I know she will get it, she deserves to get it" 

This was a second lesson on that day.

In a mother's heart, I believe the best award for a mother is when she knows she has already raised good children.

Third lesson on that day was after the graduation, we had time to meet other parents and teachers. Some of the teachers and school staffs came to me and congratulated me. Some of them gave comments about my daughters, "You have two amazing daughters, both are really special" It reminded me back in 2009 when some of their teachers said to me, "Thank you for sharing your wonderful children with us"

As parents I will always be proud, to know my children got several academic awards. However the happiness and proudness is even more when people recognize their kindness.

Their character is more important than grades in their school report.

This note has been in my computer for almost two years. Today I really want to finish this note for my youngest daughter. She shared that her professor said to her, "If you can do good thing to help other people, it will be the great present for me"

I said to her, "You have done it. You just need to keep doing it"

I believe both of my daughters know..." being smart is one thing, being a good person is everything”

Thank you girls, mommy loves you!

**Lina Kartasasmita** at 7.32PM October 4, 2013 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

I am still here for you

Hundred percent!!

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection