A thousand miles in summer 2013


The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step Lao Tzu

The journey of being a mother, it started since the baby was in the mothers womb.  And I am blessed to have the opportunity to be a mother.  I have two lovely daughters who actually bring me to a journey for a thousand miles.

It was summer time in 2013; arrived at Charles de Gaulle- Paris airport around 8 PM, Devina and I were a little bit tired. The weather wasnt like summer; it was so cold and gloomy. We went directly to the hotel. The hotel was very small in the middle of Paris. Three days in Paris, we planed to visit some famous landmarks.

The journey was not for holiday actually, the purpose was to accompany my daughter to her summer program in Pau- France.  Some of my friends asked me, Your daughter is 21 years already. Why you have to accompany her? You just make an excuse to visit Paris I visited Paris with my mother 23 years ago and I think Paris didnt change as much as my daughters. Children grow so fast and they change in many ways. I just dont want to miss it. Definitely there will be a time when I could not be with them. What money can buy in this world? Money can buy the watch but not "time". I prefer to spend the money to build memories with my children.

When we walked together under the rain in Paris from one place to another place, I hold my daughters hand. It brought me to a memory when she was about one year old. She would grab my hand before she tried to walk. Now I am the one who grabbed her hand to walk with her. With the background Eifel tower I could see how tall she is now how beautiful her smile. Each step that I walked with her was counted. Walking under the rain with a broken umbrella, we felt the cold.  And the pasta we ate or a cup of coffee that we drank together.  We collected those memories and we recalled our memories back one by one, as the steps we took.

A thousand miles is a thousand memories for me.

The journey continued to a small city Pau, it is beautiful. I spent time walking in the morning with my daughter to her school and returned back to the apartment hotel. It was so true; she is a young lady now. I watched when she walked alone. My heart told me, Look, your baby is walking by herself to reach her dream …” Time was so precious just to look what we have passed in life. Sometimes we dont have time to admire or enjoy the present at that moment.  The time seemed to slow down in Pau; it gave me more time to do the reflection of bringing up my daughters.

Out of sudden I got the text, Lina, why dont you shop in France, buy the famous designer bag there It hit my head. Yes I saw many people got out from the famous boutique and with a wide smile in their face they brought their new treasure in their hand.  They were happy, I thought, but the happiness will last as soon as the new design comes out. Did I want a short happiness like that ?

I am just a simple person, for sure my hand could hold the designer handbag and I could proudly walk around.  However the proud is only   for the price and the designer brand.  What I wanted in my life, was simple, I wanted to walk many thousand miles more with my daughters I wish I could spend the money for holding their hands and I could enjoy witnessing their beautiful heart in their life.


I might forget what my dad had bought for me in my life, for sure I never forget that I walked with him in the cities we visited and those memories are so real in my life. All always repeat every time I visit the places. The memories and his wisdom are still alive in me.

I will walk a thousand miles more and more with my daughters ...until I cannot walk anymore.

**Lina Kartasasmita** at 3.57 PM October 3, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it