“I have endurance Mom”

It was Sunday morning; we jumped into the car early in the morning. Rushing to Jakarta International School in South Jakarta, my husband started to worry that we would be late for the 5 K Race. I was worried as well. I asked my daughter many times, “Are you okay? Are you ready for the race? I think you didn’t have enough sleep last night. Please don’t force yourself to win the race”. Devina my lovely daughter replied, “Don’t worry mom. I am fine” As parents my husband and I tried our best to be her coach on that day. Actually we just showed our concern to her health and our worries.
We made to come on time at Jakarta International School and Devina was ready at the start line. My husband with his camera was always ready to take any pictures of Devina. I was there in the start line to give support for Devina. I reminded her again not to force herself. And then the race started, many people in difference range of ages started to run. I couldn’t see Devina anymore. I started to wait near the Finish line for her. Minutes by minutes passed by, one by one people reached the finish line. I saw Devina run toward the finish line. My husband took many pictures of her; it seemed he didn’t want to miss any action of Devina. As a Mom I just wanted to be there for Devina. In my life I think my biggest role as a mom that I need to be there for my daughters to give them supports in anything they do. I need to make sure they start and finish all their responsibility in their life with good attitude.
Devina looked tired and we thought we didn’t need the result who the winner was. We were happy that Devina finished her race on that day. We went home after the race. On the way Devina got SMS from her friend that she won the first place for 5 K Race. We were happy for her and the first question that came out from me was “How could you win that race” Devina spontaneous said,” I have endurance Mom”
The answer “I have endurance, Mom” It meant a lot for me. As William Barclay said, “Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory”
I was so proud to hear that. Endurance is one of the strong characters which we should have. I believe we need endurance in facing obstacles in life. We need endurance to reach the finish line. I always remind my children to do their best in life; they need to use all talents that God has given in their life. They need to bring the best out of them. With endurance, we become a winner in any race and in any competition, because we can complete the race. Many people can stand at the start line but not all can finish the race and reach the finish line. The winner is not someone who gets the awards or the gold medal in competition. The winner is someone who can complete the competition with his/ her best ability. Life is a race and a competition within us. We don’t compete with others we compete with ourselves.
This is probably a simple story in my life, but there is a great lesson behind every simple thing. It was a time for me to let Devina go for University. She has to live miles away from me. My friends asked me how I would manage my worried. This simple story became a great encouragement for me. I know Devina has endurance in her life and it is already one great character to face obstacles in life. I believe I had done my part as a mom for her. I had put the value of life in her mind. And I pray God will always lead Devina to keep the great value in her life.
As Mom I want to be in the start line in any race of my daughters’ life and I want to wait in the finish line to see my daughters to finish the race. I want to be there for them. If I can not be there for them … at least I know that they can complete the race with the value of life which I had shared with them.


Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all Dale Carnegie

Jakarta, 12 September 2010, at 11.02 PM
**Lina Kartasasmita**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it