The privilege of doing something

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.
Albert Schweitzer
French philosopher & physician (1875 - 1965)

That was just an ordinary day, I got short message in my cell phone from an unknown numbers. The message was simple,” Ms. could you online I need help” I believed that was from my students somewhere. I still remembered that I promised all my students that they can just send me e-mail or they can chat with me if they need any help. I replied,” Sure I will be online”

One of my friends always gave comment if I spend more time for my students. He said,” You didn’t get anything Lina, why you want to do it? “People counts time as money. I count time as an opportunity. I always see that time equals the opportunities to share and to pass the blessing.

I spent time to read e-mail and to chat online teaching Accounting. Deep in my heart I saw great attitude of my student, he really studied and he tried hard on his assignment. I am happy to know that. He is far away from me, but if anything I can do to help him. It is an opportunity for me to pass the blessing. Actually when I teach I always see many things from my students’ life. How they make decision in their life, how they see their future and their life. Those experiences we can only learn when we interact with the person. I learn a lot of wisdom from sharing. Every time I share my experience it just likes a reminder for me to learn again and again in life until I get the right value of life.

People need money, so do I. When my friend offered me a job and he started to criticize that I am an idealist person who still alive now, he told me to do something just only if I get money. I rejected that job. I told my friend,” It is not always about money in life” I did a reflection of myself. The standard of happiness is all depends on me. If I do something and I am happy after done that. It is worth more than money. The feeling of happy becomes a treasure of my life; it helps me to build the privilege of doing good thing. I am probably never being rich with material things; for sure I am rich in my heart and my mind.

A week ago, I got another message “Ms. I get full mark for the assignment that we’ve been discussed a couple weeks ago. Thanks a lot =:) “I am so happy, the happiness to see how a young man could show his great effort for his future. My student is in the process of building his future and his character. When he made decision to ask my help, he probably has a dilemma too, but he trusted that I would help him. I am honored that he trusted me. This experience is the great award in my life and it is worth to spend time to get it.

I believe sharing my time, sharing my knowledge will always enrich my life. The privilege of doing a good thing is more important than money.

**Lina Kartasasmita**at 11.25PM 27 September 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

Hundred percent!!

I am still here for you

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it