The secret

“What is your secret to be successful?
What is your secret ingredient” are probably the most common questions people like to ask to the most successful person they know.

I have been asked to share my secret many times, even though I am not a successful businesswoman or career woman.  What secret should I share? 

I am only a mother of two talented and smart daughters, who continuously make me proud to be their mother. 

My first daughter Devina and my second daughter Devita are only thirteen months apart so they almost spend all their time together.  When they were in elementary school, they had similar activities such as Balinese dance and Piano lesson. In general both of my daughters won “The Balinese dance, writing and piano competition” and they also were the top students each year.  I was famous as the mother of excellent students in that elementary school. 

Most of the mothers in that school kept asking me, “Do they take extra lesson at home? Who is the private teacher who helps them” Most of the students in that school took extra lessons after school and the mothers assumed that my daughters did too.
I said, “They only have dance and piano lesson, they learn everything by themselves and I never help them with their homework”

Unfortunately my answer sounded uncommon for them, they kept asking, “what is the secret then?”

“ I keep telling my daughters that life is their responsibility and that they should do their best for God” It was simple secret that I could share…. 
My friends said,” Is that really so simple? We also tell our children to do their best but the results are difference than yours” 

What else should I add? 

Then we had a chance to move to United States for 3 years. It wasn’t stopping my daughters to achieve more in their life. They won science, art, and piano competition in Texas. And once again they were top students. After 3 years in the states we moved back to Indonesia. Both of my daughters went to international school. They continued being the best in academics, sports and arts. 

In 2011, on Devita’s graduation, the school asked my husband and me to deliver the speech on behalf of the parents. I thought it should be something special on that day. Yes… they announced that Devita got awards for her leadership and kindness and also she was the best student.  After the graduation ceremony some teachers came to me and asked, “What is the secret?” That time I asked Devita, “What is your secret to continuously being the top student and also a great leader?” Devita gave me an additional secret, “Mommy you told me to Do the best for God. I did as you told but I did it persistently”  
Persistence is the key for Devita to be the top all the time. A great value to add to my secret ingredient 

On the other hand, I had also a great secret from Devina.  Devina is the 5 K runner. One day she joined the race in Jakarta International school. The night before the race, she didn’t sleep well, my husband and I were worried about her health.  “ Devina, I think it is better if you cancel going for the race, because you didn’t sleep well”  
“It is okay, mommy, I can do it. Don’t worry!”
“Could you please stop if you are not feeling well or very tired? I am worried about your health “
“Yes Mommy. I know … I know. I will do my best, mommy”

She started to run, while I was waiting and worrying …. 
After awhile… Devina came approaching the finish line. She won the Gold medal for that race.  I rushed to check on her, “ Are you okay”
“yes mommy, I'm okay.”  Then I curiously asked, “How could you win the race?”
“I have endurance, Mom. Finishing a 5 K race is not about how fast you run, but how you keep a steady pace and keep on going. ” 
Endurance is the secret for Devina. Just another great value to be added in my secret

Based on that secret, My daughters have achieved many awards, scholarship and also graduated very early. 


Life is like a race, but it is more than 5 K, we never know when we will reach the finish line … but we need to push through difficulties, problems, or ups and downs in life.  

And the secret that I can share: 

“I have endurance to persistently Do my best for God”


**Lina Kartasasmita** Jakarta February 23, 2015 at 9.59PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table topic 1: Never… never give up

We love to love

Dealing with difficult person with acceptance

Suffering and tired

My Relationship with God

“Alone”

I am still here for you

Hundred percent!!

I am perfectly blessed in my imperfection

Please keep doing it